Saturday, June 28, 2014

Dangerous Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl





I have mixed feelings about this book. When I first found out that Ridley and Link were getting their own spin-off series I was so excited and immediately pre-ordered the book. Those 2 characters were my favorites from the Beautiful Creatures series. For this reason, I think I will like this series better than the whole Beautiful Creatures series, but I think the first Beautiful Creatures book was laid out a lot better than this book. 

It was an exciting and fast read, but there were some plot points that seemed kind of out of place. Hopefully, they will be explored in the future books, but they just felt out of place. The 2 biggest examples I have of this are the Binding rings that Lena gives everyone int he beginning of the book and the flashback dreams that Ridley has. Yeah, Ridley and Link had some reactions from the rings, but they seemed just like a convenient filler. And Ridley's dreams gave us more of Ridley's history, but Ridley never officially connected them to anything that happened throughout the book.

The other big flaw in this was Lennox Gates' sudden change of heart. He starts off as being the bad guy and about halfway through he decides he's totally in love with Ridley and wants to help her and Link. I didn't really feel like their was good justification for that. Him and Ridley didn't really spend a whole bunch of time together, and even though they had a connection from the past, that doesn't justify him being head over heels for her after like a week of just seeing her across the club. 

Now, don't get me wrong. Despite these flaws, it was still a really good book. I liked all the new characters that were introduced and the overall plot of the series with Silas Ravenwood seems really exciting. Also, this book ends on a horrible cliff-hangar, so I think even if I disliked the book, I would have to pick up the next one. I am excited for the next one, though I have no idea when it will come out. The only hint that there is even going to be a book 2 of this series is the "To be continued..." at the end of this book. It sounds like it's going to be awhile until the next one comes out, but I will definitely be getting it when it comes out.

Overall, I give this book 3.5 out of 5 stars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment