Friday, July 11, 2014

Linger by Maggie Stiefvater


I'm not going to say too much about the plot of this book, since it is the second in a series and I don't want to spoil the first one for anyone, but it takes place a few months after the events of Shiver. 

Once again, I really loved the writing in this. I think if the writing wasn't so wonderful, I probably wouldn't enjoy these books. They're not bad books, but I feel like there's not a lot going on while at the same time being kind of hard to follow. This book has 4 perspectives in it and they change around every few pages, which makes it really hard to keep track of who is talking and what problems belong to who. Eventually, I got the hang of following the 4 perspectives, but I also felt that they weren't really necessary. 

Like I said, I didn't feel like there was a lot going on either. All four of the main characters had their own problems, but I felt like Grace was the only one who had something serious going on, and everyone tried to ignore it most of the book until the very end. 

I like Isabel as a character, because she tells it how it is and doesn't sugar coat anything for anyone, but all of her parts were moping over Jack or being conflicted about Cole.

Cole, who is a new wolf in this book, annoyed me. All he did the whole book was complain about how he wanted to lose himself to the wolf so he wouldn't have to deal with the problems of his life, which ended up being pretty much nothing. He had a good childhood and a good family, but his parents expected too much out of him so he turned towards being a rock star. yup, his life was so horrible...

Sam is a good love interest for Grace, but he's also a little unstable. It makes sense, considering what his parents did to him, but I felt like there wasn't really anything interesting going on with him in this book. All he talked about was how much he loves Grace and how different his perspective on life is after the events of Shiver. 

Truthfully, Grace is the only one with a really interesting story in this book. She keeps getting horrible headaches, fevers, and nosebleeds. Like I said, everyone tries to ignore this until the very end when all hell breaks loose.

Don't get me wrong, even though I had some problems with this book, I still really enjoyed it. I just felt like there could've been a lot more and that this was really only filler book to get to the big finale of Forever (which I have already jumped into and will be posting a review for as soon as I finish it.)

I don't think this was quite as good as Shiver, so I'm giving it 3.5 stars out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment